Monday, July 14, 2008

Untitled by Noah Young

I glanced around the room, not paying too much attention any single element. Each an every part of the room brought a short flashback, memory, nostalgia; Some were significant, others were faint.

I remembered that night. A horrible knocking, no, pounding, on the door woke us all. We knew they had come for us. With their army green suits, and red arm bands. I remember when I was little thinking that their symbol looked the rays of the sun. That was before I knew what Nazis were all about, until they came for my brother. They said he needed to join them, to start his training. Little by little they picked up the hints our house had to offer. The black Yamaka on top of Father’s history book really gave us away. We were Jews. They were Nazis. Some would hat such a night, but for our family, what happened then was a blessing. The 2 men could have killed us. Simply taken out their guns and fired. O r they could have taken us. Preformed their terrible experiments on us. I remember them simply saying, “You’d ought to leave here. Nothing good can come of staying.” And with that, they grabbed my brother, and left. I remember the look in my brothers eyes as he was carried away. I will always remember his eyes. Every day after that until we got to America is a blur. All the chaos, the walking in the night, the sleeping during the day. All I can really remember is that we took a train, and then a boat.

Being in our old house after these many years was paralyzing, I was enraptured by memory. And finally I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. I turned around and left.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maddie said...

this isn't real, but it sounds it. If I didn't know your age, I would've been convicned that this is true. So, how'd you write it?

Gina said...

This presents a sharp image with astounding clarity. Sorry, I have a few small, nit-picky things to say: "Yamaka" is actually spelled yarmulke, with no capitalization. I don't know why it's spelled that way either. Just spellcheck and proofread a little bit, there is some stuff I know you didn't want to put there ("Most people would hat such a night").

I don't understand your word choice in the last paragraph, when you use the word "enraptured", which means "feeling great rapture or delight". Unless the speaker is happy about the memory of getting away from the Nazis (minus his brother), it confuses me.

On the whole, though, I really enjoyed this piece. It reads like a clip from a silent film of the speaker's life. Nice job,